Spicy Pumpkin Soup!
Ingredients – what we need
- 1 medium Pumpkin or
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 clove of garlic
- 6cm of root ginger
- chicken stock cube
- 20g butter
- salt and ground black pepper
Method - how we make it!
- Cut your pumpkin into quarters, remove all the soft inside and the pumpkin seeds (you can keep these to eat later or keep them for the birds!). Peel and chop the orange flesh into small cubes, ready for cooking
Prepare your pumpkin very carefully as sharp knives can easily slip on the thick skin
- Peel and chop the onion,the ginger and the garlic, and fry in a little butter in the bottom of a large saucepan until soft
- Peel the sweet potato and carrots, chop into small chunks and add to the saucepan together with your prepared pumpkin pieces
- Add about a litre of chicken stock (enough to cover the vegetables) and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until all the vegetables are cooked and soft
- Allow to cool a little and then blend using an electric blender (or a potato masher) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and swirl in a little cream before serving with warmed crusty bread!
Mmm... This is great on a cold winter nights, especially by the bonfire!!